The death toll from yesterday’s explosion that struck a public motor park in Azare, the second largest city in Bauchi state , has risen to 8, leaving 12 others wounded.
The Bauchi state Police Command spokesperson, DSP Haruna Mohammed , who earlier confirmed that five people had been killed during the explosion incident, told journalists yesterday that two more people died in the hospital while A statement signed by Bauchi Police Command DSP Haruna Mohammed said so far, eight persons were confirmed dead while twelve others with horrific injuries were responding to treatment at Federal Medical Center, Azare. He said the state Commissioner of Police, Cp Lawal Shehu personally
visited the scene this morning and commiserate with the victims. The Police PPRO explained that the blasts occurred at the roundabout of Azare motor park on Wednesday night, around 9 :45 p.m., while the injured had been taken to Federal Medical Center Azare for treatment,
adding that charred remains of Kymco motorcycle found at the scene was allegedly used to carry out the attack. An eyewitness who spoke to newsmen, said he counted about fifteen dead bodies lying down on the ground at the scenes of the bomb blast, while several others were critically injured. “As I was standing here, there were about 15 dead bodies on the ground here with me following the bomb blast while several others were injured; the situation is bad said the witness. Another resident said parts of human bodies burnt beyond recognition
were littered on the ground as a result of severe bomb blasts and could hardly be put together for burial.
Other sources added that the bomb blast was said to have destroy several shops and properties worth millions thereby causing serious pandemonium among residents as many flee for safety.
It was learnt that the blasts forced traders in the area to hurriedly shut down their shops for fear of being attacked by hoodlums.
No group is yet to claim the responsibility of the explosion as at the time of filling this report.
Meanwhile, the Police PRO said investigation had since commenced to ascertain the cause of explosions in the area, which has already cordoned-off the entire surrounding the scene and had been secured by Police Explosive Ordinance Unit, adding that no arrest has been made yet.
Haruna regretted the incident and urged residents to always report to the Police strange people with questionable characters, apart from giving useful information to the security agencies.
According to him, the Command is not resting on its oars to make the state a difficult field day for criminals in the state now that 2015 elections gathers momentum as a measure to protect life and properties.